Sunday, March 6, 2011

Signs

Signs that Korea National University of Education was going to be the worst employer I've ever had:
  1. It took five requests to get someone to agree to meet me at the bus stop. The Coordinator just didn't want to bother. I even offered to pay her or a friend of hers to come get me. Still no luck. In the end they did come.
  2. I asked them to send me a copy of the text book I'd use and they refused.
  3. The Coordinator sent me on a wild goose chase twice giving me the wrong information on where to go to get the documents for my visa apostilled
  4. It's in the middle of no where, Miho. Generally, the farther away from Seoul, the worse the school. Though some do get bad jobs in Seoul.
  5. The director asked few questions during the interview. He really only asked what I did with Black Sheeps.
  6. The lowest grade a student can get is an 80%.
  7. With the creation of websites like Happy Campus, it's so easy for students to plagiarize, so don't teach writing in Korea.
  8. The pay was lower than I got before. I thought it would be okay since I was in the country and doing teacher training. The prices have gone way up since I left in 2007.
  9. I ignored my impulse to see photos of the apartment I'd be in. Though pictures aren't enough. One needs to check the water and find out if to get a good shower one needs to go into the students' dorms as I did. In this case pictures would be enough. There wasn't one comfortable chair. There were grease stains on the walls. Most of the lights were burnt out. Though I was allowed to fix it all up.
Let the teacher beware.

If you have a college degree, you can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I only approve comments that I can read so they must be in English, French, Latin or Japanese. Sorry I don't speak every language in the world. I won't approve commercial comments.