Thursday, March 17, 2011

Korean Health Clubs

From the archive, March 2007:

Today I joined a health club right next to Sogang's campus. I know I scared the uniformed reception clerk. Her outfit was like that of a hotel reception clerk. No sweats or workout clothes. She didn't speak English, but I could see from the chart pasted on the desk how much a membership for 3 months would be.

She got a man to help explain everything. The most complicated part was their key system. I was given two locker keys. One's electronic and every time I go will open the locker the receptionist tells me. That will change. The other key will open my locker, #67.

The man gave me a tour and had one of the members give me a tour of the ladies' locker room. The club is open from 6am - 11pm, that he managed in English. (He knew more English than he realized.)

Here's the procedure: go to the locker room, taking off your shoes first, and get the correct size ugly cotton T-shirt and shorts. Pink for women; baby blue for men. Change clothes, and get a towel.

The work out machines are like in the US. The treadmill actually has a fan you can turn on when you start perspiring. There's a big driving range for golfers in addition to the workout room and exercise classes.

One thing that was different was that men paid more than women ($30 difference). I'm not sure why. It could be that the men get more weight machines. Probably three times more. The men's machines have black seating; the women pink, of course.

I'm looking forward to de-stressing here on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I only approve comments that I can read so they must be in English, French, Latin or Japanese. Sorry I don't speak every language in the world. I won't approve commercial comments.