Saturday, March 12, 2011

Due Date


Skip this "buddy" picture. Flying home from China, I wanted some light entertainment and got sucked into the sophomoric vortex that is Due Date starring Robert Downey Jr., whom I usually like. The plot is predictable: two opposites get intertwined and must travel cross country together by a certain deadline. Rain Man worked as did Trains, Planes and Automobiles.

Due Date never got off the ground for me. (I couldn't refuse the pun.) Successful, type A businessman Peter, played by Downey, gets tangled up with the obnoxious Ethan Tremlay. There were enough jokes that made me chuckle in the beginning, though they were guilty pleasure laughs rather than "wow, that's witty" laughs, to keep me watching. Besides I had 12 hours to kill and my first choice, Tangled had some technical difficulties.

The film just went downhill and never attempted much of an ascent. Somehow we're expected to believe the ridiculous, like that the Mexican police can cross the border and pursue drivers in the US. Ethan is sort of funny, but could be more so. The film is just so thin on plot and character.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I only approve comments that I can read so they must be in English, French, Latin or Japanese. Sorry I don't speak every language in the world. I won't approve commercial comments.